Is it the pancake itself or the toppings that make those thin sheets of joy so tasty? As Pancake Day draws nearer, this is the question at the top of our list. We asked you on Facebook and Twitter about this glorious day, and we liked what you had to say.
While Pancake Day disguises itself under many names – Shrove Tuesday, Mardi Gras, Fat Tuesday – one thing is clear, the day before Lent is a day to party. By party, we mean get to know the lingering ingredients in your cupboard before fasting begins.
What topping combo do you like on your pancakes?
Lemon and sugar
The classic toppings came in first with 55% of the votes. There’s something subtle and delicious about the lemon/sugar combo dusted over a serving of delicate pancakes. We prefer a bit more sugar and a bit less lemon, but we’re saving our real sweet tooth confession for the toppings below.
Butter and syrup
A poor performer in this survey, butter and syrup came in with 17% of the vote. It’s not that butter and syrup aren’t two ingredients to slather on in copious amounts. It’s that this combo suits the American style pancake better. It’s a theory we’re still playing with.
Chocolate spread and bananas
This is where our sweet tooth is revealed. Nutella (and all chocolate spreads) will forever have a place here at the hungryhouse HQ (and that place is in the shared cupboard). We’re working on getting a hotplate, but for the moment Nutella and bananas – minus the pancakes – will have to do.
It’s sticky. It’s lovely. It’s fruit. What’s not to love about a pancake smothered in jam? While the survey revealed a few different preferences, strawberry jam came out on top.
You scream! I scream! We all scream for ice cream! This topping is melt-in-your-mouth fantastic. While most respondents didn’t specify flavour, we’re going to go with vanilla (based on countless tastings).
“I don’t like pancakes”
It’s a sad but true fact. Not everyone likes pancakes. While the survey reports only 3% of respondents officially do not like pancakes, the thought alone brought tears to our eyes. We took a deep breath, stepped back, and consoled ourselves with the fact that they probably like Chinese takeaway.
Have you ever been in a pancake race?
57% of respondents have never been in a pancake race, and a further 18% don’t know what a pancake race is.
“Pancakes were made to use up fat and sugar before Lent started. Pancake day races are said to have been started by a horologically challenged lady who suddenly realised she was late for church, so took off with the frying pan still in her hand, flipping it as she ran…. Any excuse for a quick snack in the back pews “
Do you know the story behind Pancake Day in Britain?
71% of respondents answered ‘no’ to this question! In the words of the other 29%, this is what Pancake Day is all about.
“It’s to use up all the `rich` ingredients before the start of lent when people ate boring things!”
“It’s the last day before lent and so people like to eat as much tasty food as possible before they give it up!”
“Use what’s left in the cupboards.”
“Eating and racing with pancakes…have fun and make sure to toss the pancake high up and catch it, makes it taste better…”
“It was the day Hollywood invented a new makeup product to stop their starlets’ faces shining.”
“A giant pancake escape from its jail in the 5th circle of hell and tried to take over Britain. After a huge battle and a great deal of nastiness Tony Blair overcame said pancake (who was called Alberto T Cake) and regained his role as Prime Minister.”
“Once upon a time several pancakes lived. One of them turned bad, and one emerged as hero. We cook pancakes to honor that hero.”
“Well… it’s about pancakes?”
“Pancakes are the most delicious thing to eat!”
“I just celebrate it for the food!!!”
“Pancakes are traditionally the last yummy snack before your easter eggs arrive!”
“No idea! I’m sure I would find out while I enjoy my takeaway!”