Sausages at the ready - this week marks the 16th 'National BBQ Week' in the UK! Now at hungryhouse, we count any week that it doesn't rain as BBQ week (there are usually 2-3 of those a year), but we're always on board with chance to celebrate food. So, in honour of this most prestigious of weeks, we decided to debunk a few BBQ related myths. (Warning - some facts may not be 100% scientifically proven).
World political policies
Most people believe that international political policies are hammered out in tense meetings held in dark rooms – but what about over a tasty BBQ? In May 2011 Barack Obama dropped by no.10 Downing Street to have a chat and sample the pork chops. Reports have it that the diplomacy was well done, although the ribs were a little burnt.
The volcanic ash cloud
Popular myth has it that the ash cloud that grounded flights across the world in Spring 2010 was caused by a volcano, but we've discovered otherwise.
In April 2010, scientists had a BBQ at the base of the Eyjafjallajökull volcano, using the molten lava for charcoal and sensibly wearing heat protective suits and breathing equipment. Unfortunately it seems they may have overdone the sausages a bit.
Barbecuing is a Man's job?
Whilst in the past, barbequing may have been a man's summer's day past-time, they are no longer so male dominated. A recent survey found that in 51% of households the men were tangling with the tongs, whilst in the other 49% the BBQ was female dominated.
Any place, is a good place for a BBQ
Definitely a contentious one this, but actually the answer is no!
A stag-night BBQ party, held in Tijuana 1999 proved that the answer to this is a firm no. The revelers held it in a graveyard, with all the guests dressed as ghosts, resulting in the party being stopped by the police. They were investigated them on suspicion of cannibalism!
So there you have it folks, we hope you all enjoy a nice tasty BBQ this week. Ohh and by the way, if you see a group of Icelandic scientists huddled around the old fire pit, politely ask them to put down the tongs and move away!